Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Rest Day Reality

Typically my rest days are Sundays.  It's a natural break point for me, being Sunday and all.  But lately I've been resting like 2-3 days a week.

I've had a lot going on, with a surgery in the family, a weekend with the youth, appointments, and the craziness that is having teenage daughters with lives, social calendars, and bedtimes of their own.  Most of the time I use exercise as time for me.  It peps me up, helps me feel good about myself with all the natural endorphins circulating.  But sometimes I question whether or not I have actually got the time.

The ironing is piled to the ceiling, the bathrooms need cleaning, the cars need oil, taxes need filing, I can't even wade through the disaster that is the storage side of my basement, my day is half-way gone before I realize it, and I find myself hacking activities that don't help accomplish these things, or sitting in front of the computer willing it all to go away.  You are familiar with this? I thought so.

There's also this:


And the lesson ends up being that no matter how much time I think I'll save by skipping a work out, it ends up being the thing I'm most disappointed about from the entire day.  It's the biggest thing on my list that didn't get done.  It's the thing that drives me the most mad when the kids are home and I've missed my window, makes me the most disappointed in myself, and turns me into the Hulk that just wishes everyone would just go to bed already.

I know I Instagrammed that I just couldn't do it today, but I think I've talked myself down from that ledge.  I'm going to go work off some cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment