Monday, February 23, 2015

A girl walks into a gym...

No it's not the beginning of a bad joke, more like the end.


I. am. not. a. gym. rat.  I have been feeling, however, that I have the legs of a power lifter and the upper body of a 12-year-old girl.  No offence.  And my home "gym" set up does not allow for much upper body work beyond calisthenics.

So I went to my local place-of-fitness and signed up for a free week trial, and proceeded to the sunless, sweaty, beefy, and strange world of the gym.

It was a mixed bag: gray hairs and akwardly brown young people.  Newbies and career lifters.  And a funny girl in neon tights and top wearing glasses.  I also found myself thinking: what self-respecting man is at the gym at 10:30 am?  As I said, the gym scene is an enigma to me.

I started on the elliptical, for some warm-up cardio that is gentle on my joints.  I could barely handle 10 minutes.  So boring.  There was a news channel on my machine >snore< and a movie playing, neither of which I could hear.  I was pretty warm, so I proceeded to inspect all the machinery.  I settled on arms, since that's what I can't do at home, and did 3 sets of 10 of several different exercises.  Then I moved on to legs because I was getting the hang of it.  I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched.  By who, I can't imagine, because all those mirrors of truth, well, they don't lie.

Then I made up some upper-body exercises that are water-ski specific because, you know, it's snow ski season, we're in the midst of Ski Boot Camp, and I have ADHD like that.  It was pretty fun, to be honest.

At the hour mark I couldn't think of anything else to do besides make one attempt at a pull up which I didn't repeat because it was super embarassing.  Which brings me full circle to why I went in the first place.  Upper body.  For real.

I have a week.  Is it possible I may become converted?  

Enjoy 100's Week, posted on Instagram @fitnessinreality.  Please don't hate me!

3 comments:

  1. Go to a class! There is a boxing class you would love. I hear you can burn up to 1,000 a class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which gym? They aren't THAT bad. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy a fun class! Not the rest so much...

    ReplyDelete