Friday, February 20, 2015

Compressions socks, the good and the bad



I ran in compression socks yesterday, on that very uncomfortable run.  I realize that it wasn't a totally fair trial, but despite how my gut felt, my legs felt great!

Compression sock are supposed to speed up the blood circulation in your lower legs which helps fight fatigue and also aids in recovery.

These are the socks I chose from backcountry.com, pretty much because they were cheap, but also because backcountry.com brand provides great quality for the price.  I chose size small (they're basically unisex) and I wear a women's 8.5-9 shoe.

Backcountry Knee-High Compression Socks

I opened the package and thought "gosh, these look tiny" but sure nuf they pulled on.  Tip: you aren't supposed to gather them up like panty-hose when you put them on, but slide them up. This preserves their uniform compression.  Not sure how you're supposed to accomplish that.

I can report that my legs felt pretty good running. I wore them for about an hour after my run, and I do believe that my legs feel a little less tired this morning.  I will test them further.

And sometimes we need an image that sears itself into our brains, when you look at it and say "ok, things have gotten out of hand".  This was mine:




Good: made my legs feel good during and after my run
Bad: compression sock muffin top

Do some fun cardio today! And never underestimate the power of a good dose of reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment