Monday, February 9, 2015

Group Fitness. You Need It.

What a glorious weekend!  I couldn't stop exercising!  The Work-It Circuit was super fun, and I know a few of us can't sit down...anywhere.  I did my job!



What's a Work-It Circuit, you ask? It's a way to get together with friends to exercise, thus motivating yourself, setting a time, having a buddy, and holding yourself accountable.  Win!  Choose 10 exercises and make 10 stations.  Put weights near them or a yoga mat or whatever the exercise requires. Add music.  Loud music.  Then make a timer for 30 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, and do it four times through.  Done!  Be ready to laugh, giggle, pant, and push your way through the easiest workout sesh of your life.  

I'm going to hold some now and then, so watch my Instagram feed for details.  You'll be hooked!

Which leads me to today's topic: The Buddy System.  For most of my adult life I've been a solitary exerciser.  I do strength training & yoga in my sweet basement family room (which was built with exercise in mind), run on my own, & (sometimes) ride on my own.  I (very) occasionally ran with my husband, and as the kids finally went to school a full day we would ride once or twice per week.  This ride always started with him telling me to ride harder for the first 30 minutes, then with me cursing his name for the last 45 minutes.  Great bonding time.  And really, I'd rather go it alone, thanks.

In the past I always felt that exercise, uncomfortable breathing, and spitting were private things, best done at my own pace and on my own time.

I had a change of heart about group fitness when my sis-in-laws invited me to a Zumba class.  I rolled my eyes but then bit the bullet and went because I love an excuse to dance as much as the next girl.  And a night off from putting the kids to bed.  Win.  Hootin' and hollerin', laughing and getting confused to crazy loud Latin music with the girls ended up being the thing I looked forward to all week long.

When it came to cycling I just didn't know any other women who did, and to be honest I wasn't interested in riding with anyone.  I stepped outside my comfort zone and ended up finding the perfect riding partner.  We're both competitive, we push each other, and she's crazy fun. 




I now see group fitness as a restorative as well as a workout. We know women need each other for support, and incorporating this into our fitness helps us accomplish our goals and make strong connections at the same time.  The reality is that involving others is a guarantee of success.  

It's Monday, week 4 of Ski Boot Camp!!  Do the posted workout #FRsbc5 three times this week with your spouse, a friend, your mom, your sister, your kid, or alone!  Call a friend, join our Work-It Circuit, reach out & reach your goal!  And don't forget #sugarfreefebruary.  You can totally do it!

Make a fresh start!

No comments:

Post a Comment